4/25/2003

I had another cool occasion to go out to dinner with some french people. I met some more of Sev's friends. The bummer was that I was so completely exhausted that night. We ate dinner in a fairly nice place in the shadow of Montparnesse. I will have to take someone there some day for dessert! :) I had a chocolate pudding/mousse/yumm... in a bed of mint syrup and mint leaves. Ahh.. it was close to dessert heaven.
I'm learning to get along with people who smoke. I guess I never had a ton of friends who smoked in the states but now I can say that I go out "smoking" with my friends. They, of course, do the smoking and I listen to french and try to speak.

I passed the Moyen 2 test again with flying colors. Its seems like maybe I'm not being challenged enough but at the same time I still feel like I'm doing necessary review. They say that Avance 1 will begin to explore the more complex grammar and we'll do more writing... but I remember doing this stage as well at CEF in Albertville. I know that I could use a step up in comprehension. The conversation class is such a wide divide that JB is getting frustrated trying to find ways to challenging both the advanced students and the ones who have yet to talk very much. He thinks I should move up to the mornings where the students are pushed but doesn't think there is enough space.

Yesterday I took time for myself. I decided what I wanted to do after my medical visit, which makes me legal in France. I found a cafe and sad down with Bonhoeffer (the book) and ordered lunch and a fresh squeezed oj. The moments were wonderful cuz I had no one telling me where to go, what to order and I had plenty of time to enjoy the ambiance of Paris. I allowed time to stop for a couple hours- just me and God, sitting in the sun in the heart of the city, surrounded my a gal on vacation with her "copain" and another on the phone and eating her pasta. I let the sun bronze my arms and face and sipped coffee. I realize that even though the race in my mind to keep up with transition and adjustment doesn't stop, I took time to appreciate Paris and the French way. I may have to take time for moments like that more often- to give me focus, perspective and time for my attitude to catch up with my knowledge.

J keeps reminding me to find ways to "let it out"...the happy and hard times. I think I just found one.

No comments: