2/18/2003

You should have seen it the other day. Little Sammy asked me to read him a story. So I relented and followed him to the couch and we curled up and I began his story....in French. I hadn't gotten very far when I realized I might not be saying something right so I corrected my pronunciation and watched his face. Nothing. So I continued and I wasn't very far into the second page of a simple child's story when I ran into a word I didn't know at all. Sammy was pointing at the pictures and babbling so I asked him what one of the animal's was on the page and he slobbered the french word as perfectly as he could around his pacifier. I said, "Oh" and continued. We came to a page that used pictures instead of words to tell the story. I was stumped. If I was his mother I'd have done fine but I was stuck, so I started with the couple words and then pointed to the little picture and Sammy filled in the blanks as I filed away the new word in my brain.




Talk about having to start from ground zero. I guess I did ok cuz Sammy tracked me down within the next hour to have me read him another story...in French. Sometimes we have to laugh at ourselves.



Today was a crazy day. I didn't feel like getting out of bed and totally miss the FedEx/Postal Service person who was bringing my birth certificate to me. I don't know what I would have done with it today cuz I don't know how to get to Melun to take care of my Carte de Sejour nor can I get there without a car. Tomorrow we'll search it out again.



They computer was having problems and I couldn't connect to the internet. I finally remedied it by disconnecting and reconnecting. Later on though, it didn't even show a signal so I couldn't do anything. I finally figured something out and I'm back in business. Its good cuz I have so much to do on Juno with my addressbook. Its all a mess right now and I'm so bummed on it.



I made a trip out to Disney again. Round trip costs 5 Euros. I changed my ticket again. Fortunately the same gal was there when I got up to the counter. I remembered something I had read about french culture: They never like to be accused of being wrong. So I casually said I didn't trust the reservation to get me to Spain because of the duration of the trip and the price. I asked her to check again and she said yeah, I was right and made the changes. She said I did well to come back and I thanked her profusely.



I came home to work on the "bazard" called the kitchen. I still am working on it. I think I'll retrieve another mattress from the basement for my bed. Its just a bit too firm for me. The computer has had so many little problems today that I had to figure out. Fortunately I'm getting a little more adventureous in the systems and before long I'll be a programmer without any study.... HA!



Can I just say that STAVESACRE rocks!!

No comments: