2/11/2003

It began so long ago but I'm not going to go into that too much. I'm just starting at this chapter. I arrived in Paris on a gray Monday. February 11 took so long to arrive compared to the 4 days before which seemed to wiz into existence and then quickly vanish before I had time to finish all the prep lists. Fortuantely God was on my side the whole way and my bags were packing a day in advance of 'family time'. By the time Saturday, Feb 8 rolled around, everything was ready and my sister rolled in with an airport for my new mac and a copy of Microsoft Office X. It was installed and I received a couple phone calls, a foot massage and pedicure (thanks Andrea- they look great!) and a great dinner and prayer time with the immediate family.



My heart jumped into my throat when my mom woke me Sunday morning the 9th. My plane was scheduled for 12:45pm out of SEATTLE and the first thought in my mind as I lay there flat on my back and stiff as a board was, "What in the heck am I doing?" I got over it as soon as I jumped in the shower and the LORD reminded me of everything that I had dreamed of since 6th grade and then as a 14 year-old. I remembered my decision to obey the LORD and his call at age 17 and my headstrong commitment to the LORDSHIP of Christ in my life at age 20.



We got to the airport and God showed his faithfulness to us with a parking spot next to a luggage cart. Almost like it was left there just for us and then standing in line to check-in, I nearly got an upgrade to first-class. My sister took them since they wouldn't let me use the tremendous gift of some generous man on my connecting flights. Fortunately I didn't get stuck with the "missionary seat" either (we all know that's the middle of the middle with a friendly child behind thrusting their toes into your booty). I had a window the first leg and then a whole row in which I had to try to sleep upright since the arm rests didn't budge. The LORD brought along a pastoral group surrounding me headed to do some preaching in the south of France and Paris. Its exciting to see others getting excited about reaching France for Christ too.



I did manage to barely sleep. It was enough to give me a boost for the following day. I woke up about 1500 miles from Paris and watched the sun rise. It was incredible to look directly out a window and see the dark stary sky and then peer forward to see a slight orange to blue glow that only grew with every second. Soon the stars were swallowed up by the sun and we hovered over a layer of clouds.



The security in Paris gave me no trouble at all. I might have asked for some if I had asked too many questions so I just gathered my bags and cruised through 8 guards out into the freedom of France. I waited for my team leader to show up and since I was a bit early, I just stood around a while. I did begin to wonder where he was after 30 minutes and as I began my search which took me outside into nearly freezing weather, then down another hallway, I finally found him sitting in the bar I had been standing near but behind a tree so neatly oriented that he couldn't see me nor I him.



We loaded my belongings and raced out into traffic where everyone follows just a little too close for 140kmp. I was feeling pretty good so after some lunch we headed out to try finishing my legal paperwork for residence. The crisp french woman distinctly said to go to another place and that she had "aucun" information. This is quite french and I will just have to work at weasling around all the flat "non's".

No comments: