9/21/2003

Took a walk with my camera today cuz I needed an 'out'. I didn't go too far, just around Lognes. I was hunting for texture in brick, stone, mortar with overtones of construction on my mind. I found a whole roll of 36 worth. Our neighborly Catholic church provided a few shots and several different walls and sidewalks, barriers. Then as I headed into unknown territory- I heard the screams of a girl and the bass blaring from a car and several guys. I didn't want to know anymore so I turned on a dime and encountered two men laying a brick wall. I stood there in shock for a minute (because it was just the genre I was looking for) and then bravely asked them in french if I could take a few pictures of their work. I felt like I had stood up to one of my fears (how to approach people to get the photo I want). They said they didn't mind and kept working and let me shoot around their hands, mortar and hammers. I think I got the shot I wanted! I thanked them generously and said I might be back with the photos and started down the sidewalk only to pass two children. A colorful girl, blond curls and purple glasses asked me if I would take her picture. I stopped and said sure, asking if this was where she lived. "No, but it's where he lives," pointing to the boy. So I offered to bring the picture back at some point in time. She took a smiless shot that I think rather creative. It was a relief to have finally made a turn in the town where I live and to have encountered people doing what I love.

No comments: