6/24/2004

brain pain and an unsafe God

I'm having one of those days. Its a moment when you think, "that's all nice in theory, but in practice...?" I don't know why It is crashing down into my head today. I really don't have much space in the brain to think about It but I am. Its the question about 'church'. I've been pretty intrigued by the simple church movement and from what I've seen and heard, it looks like an amazing process but my questions come in regarding multiplication.

Almost 3 weeks ago, I asked Michael Moynagh (author of Changing World, Changing Church) how can the emerging church in all its facets and forms effectively multiply? I keep hearing that it can be done with non-Christian people obviously led by a small team of solid believers. I'm wearying of seeing churches grow and develop at the sake of other's decline. Comfy Christianity seekers. I don't know how much of this goes on in France where the believers are few and the churches are quite small but I imagine it happens. I know of 1 church in Paris that was started exclusively with a group of non believers meeting regularly in a home to discuss faith. Today this home church is still vibrant after 10 years.

I think I'll ask a few people some questions, find out history, correct my preconceived ideas and see if I can relieve the brain pain I have over this topic.

Anyone out there know the name of the home group church movement in Germany - they are 700 and counting.

I'm swimming in all this all the while reading a book by John Eldredge and Brent Curtis called The Sacred Romance. Somewhere all this comfort christianity conflict is tied up in my mind as I wrestle with a Wildly Dangerous Romantic God and desire for the security I know in Him. Lucy asks the Beavers in CS Lewis' The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, if he, Alsan, is safe. "'Course he's not safe! But he's good."

1 comment:

I P said...

I often struggle with the same thing, Liz. It seems like new churches start by attracting other Christians. I think God is calling the church to something higher and better than that.

I think the church movement in Germany you're talking about is led by Karsten Wolf... but I'm not sure on the spelling. If I'm thinking of the same one you're talking about, it started in Dresden?

Btw, have you read the book 'Red Moon Rising' by Pete Greig? It is excellent. It is about the 24-7prayer movement in the emerging generation. It is really encouraging to hear such a powerful story about God moving in this generation.