11/13/2003

When it's chilly out and I have more homework than I think I can finish before it's deadline, I put on jazz, and amuse myself reminding myself of my favorite pasttimes here in Paris. One of my favorite things to watch is people who rush for the RER or Metro making their entry as the buzzer announces the closing of the doors. For each one it is a personal race, and effort to win against the doors- they smile to themselves until they realize that everyone is staring at them and they will quickly apply the 'naked train face' to which everyone is socially obligated.

I also enjoy watching a few adults move large amounts of children. The best scene yet I may have mentioned long ago: 2 adults moved about 20-25 3yr olds in the Paris Metro. It was splendid watching them- like herding chickens.

Today I was reminded that I move in a large city every day. The bus', cars and motorcycles; women with crazy uncomfortable shoes and the smoke!... Paris is a big city, bigger than any city I have every lived in. Thank goodness for jazz...

No comments: