10/28/2003

I really should have written days ago about the Finale of the Avant Garde Conference we had on Saturday. It started last spring in June: L'Eglise en Devenir or Emerging Church. June was fantastic with a multitude of deep thinkers and wise people to meet and so this fall was follow up with a day full of conference with Stuart Murray-Williams. One of the best communicator's I have heard on the subject, I thoroughly enjoyed and took notes on what he had to say regarding the Emerging church movement. A couple points that got me thinkin were: 1. this younger generation is different from the one previous in that generally it hasn't heard the story of Jesus. Previously, the story was at least known; now a days, one can't be sure. 2. Part A: this country where I am at, has a great divide between church and state. In fact, it seems that if any hairbrained religious thought isn't connected to "institution" it is considered a secte. Part B: This generation rejects "institution". Thus, a huge indicator of difference between the "modern age" and the current emerging generation.

Ok. Today I had my first random meeting of a french skater. I've met a couple others but this was a conversation that was struck up on the metro with a complete stranger. Fortunately he wasn't too strange to me since he had his longboard along for the ride. I noticed right off the bat that he seemed a cheerful person, whistling as he went- almost without a care in the world. Turns out he is from near Valence in the southeast of France and is currently a student in Paris. It was a pleasant conversation. It all started cuz I was carrying a large box with a disco ball in it and I was wearing my Dept sweatshirt- gives away the fact that I know skaters. "You gonna have a party? he asked. -Yup! Friday.

No comments: