6/19/2003

I'm not an English teacher but I am considered a native speaker here by some. Tuesday I went to work with my roommate, Audrey. Audrey is an English teacher and I was her "show and tell" all day long. I met approximately 100 kids, told them all my name, where I was from, about my family and about Portland. I showed a little flick prepared by my talented friends in Portland, footage of the Pharmacy guys and Dept of Sk8boarding.

The toughest part of the whole day was speaking English only and not letting on that I understood any french. So many times I just wanted to break out in French, answer questions that were constantly being syphoned through Audrey. Amongst these restless Jr. Highers I discovered a few skaters. One moment in particular was tough for me. I hear a little dude say he wished those guys would come to France and skate with him and his friends. I wanted to say, "Yeah, that's a great idea. I'll call them up and ask them if they'd do that." Each class time I saw so many eyes looking at me wondering what I was, excited to tell me what little English they could. Many talked about musicians and had picked photos of their heros to show me. I saw huge trends toward popular music and musicians who were my own age: one woman killed a few years back in a plane accident- the girl said that she would live on in her heart.

Crazy that girls my age are making millions singing and dressing in hardly anything and changing the lives of some Jr highers all over the world. I ask what kind of impact I make. These women and men may pass just as quickly as the New Kids on the Block, but can I keep going and leave even a bigger legacy? I guess its not so much me who wants the legacy- but I desire a life that counts for more than just a pile of money or fame. My life is filled right now with the hunt for where I can continue to discover a life that is counting for something on this earth.

No comments: