6/09/2003

Church Picnics
I remember fondly the little church picnics which were hosted annually at Elk Plain Community Church in Spanaway, Washington. There were always two events that I looked forward to: 1. Watching a crew of adults sing a rhythm of crazy phrases and act them out (my favorite line was "Hark, a lark, flying through the park- splat!" and my second favorite was "Give Betsy give, the baby's gotta live!"). The second and most coveted of all activities was the lawnmower race. Steve Fisher and Mike Sherman would always show up with their souped up mowers, ready to mow down any person fending for their championship. My personal favorite activity: the log they suspended above a pile of hay where two kids would get on it like a horse and beat eachother with pillows, trying to knock the other off. Sorry- its a bit violent but that's how I grew up.

Today I went to another church picnic. They say the weather always is nice and today it proved so again with record heat in the 30's. (celsius!!) All the churches in the Paris region association gathered to eat and play and hang out together. There were soccor games, water fights, basketball and kids activities. I took advantage of the sun and mostly layed around, entertaining a few conversations here and there with friends. I was so encouraged to talk with one friend who is moving soon to Austrailia. Our question of the day: Why do we have to keep re-learning to trust God for our lives? It would be so much easier if we could learn it once and have it over with.

No comments: