4/09/2004

I can't get it out of my head: the crucifixion of this innocent God/Man. This morning I entered a cinema to watch The Passion of Christ. I purposefully chose the daytime and strategically picked Good Friday. My stomach knotted as I climbed the escalators into the shopping and cinema complex. I could barely speak out the words, "one place for the Passion, please". I organized myself with a neat pile of tissue and my water bottle as they rolled previews for Monster and a french comedy about marriage.

And then, I watched this Jesus take on the sin of the world. He healed while being arrested, He was silent when accused, He sacrificed his power when tortured, and He triumphed when he died. I wept the whole film and the girl next to me sobbed the whole time. I can still hear her. My heart weeps as I remember the weight of my sin that fell upon Him. What a scandal, this cross- that an pure and holy God receive the just punishment deserved of men.

No comments: