8/01/2004

The Sea

Full moon last night.
Sunday afternoon in humid 30°C weather with storm warnings.
Trip to the beach in des Landes.
Super steep beach and beach breaks in heights up to 2 meters with incoming tide.

I followed Tabitha into the water during a calm and we swam against the current rising and falling with the large swells. Then we decided to get out... I watched the one powerful wave pound the shore and started like mad for the water's edge. We had been pulled south toward the stronger more dangerous current. Before we could get our feet on the sand, I felt the pull and watched the 7th wave rise up behind me. Nearly screaming 'I can't move!' because of the pull, I knelt under the power of the salt wall as it crashed over me and swept me up the steep beach leaving my knees in red bloody speckles.

I hope you enjoyed your Sunday evening, contemplating the power of our Creator, but from a safer distance.

No comments: